FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
FSC, including the Legal Department with its global activities, is steadily growing, which is why we are looking for an engaged Senior Trademark and IP Counsel (Program Manager) who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
Managing and guiding an existing and skilled in-house team of trademark and IP lawyers, which is a sub-team within the Legal Department, while overseeing successful management of FSC’s trademark portfolio, a rigid trademark enforcement program as well as ensuring a rightful licensing business for FSC certificate holders and other clients from a legal perspective.
The Senior Trademark and IP Counsel (Program Manager) will work closely with and report to the Head of the Legal Department and in his/her function plan, coordinate and further assign legal operations concerning our IP work area from a global perspective.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- To plan, draft, articulate, coordinate and successfully implement short- and long-term strategic plans and guidelines with regards to FSC’s trademark portfolio, the organization’s brand protection and licensing program.
- To manage operational planning within an existing team of trademark and IP experts under guidance by the Head of the Legal Department to ensure consistent legal advice.
- To counsel on all aspects of IP law, in particular, trademark and copyright law, unfair competition, publicity rights law, and domain name as well as internet and e-commerce related issues.
- To counsel on legal actions and non-litigious solutions.
- To support in extending our network of external law firms and overseeing proper quality of legal services by external counsels.
- To oversee a rightful handling of a yearly budget allocated to the trademark and IP team.
- To oversee professional trainings to staff members at FSC International and the global FSC Network in relation to trademark protection.
- To respond to inquiries of internal and external stakeholders.
- To carry out research activities related to the work area.
- Additional tasks at the natural links between trademark work and other corporate affairs dealt with by the legal team.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Education and Training:
- University degree in a relevant field of law, science, or business administration.
- Strong intellectual property and team leadership background.
- Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- At least five (5) years of experience required, ideally seven (7) or more years of practical experience, preferably in-house in a globally oriented organization and/or international law firm.
- Experience required in international trademark portfolios with specific experience in trademark clearance, prosecution, investigations, enforcement work as well as all licensing aspects.
- Familiar with advertising and consumer protection laws, laws relating to counterfeit goods and ideally experience with customs and border control protection.
- Strong organizational and excellent time management skills: ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and projects in a structured way while delivering high quality of work.
- Service and detail oriented with a proactive work attitude.
- Ability to represent FSC through his/her work with exemplary personal and professional attitude and conduct including a friendly and self-confident appearance.
- At minimum two (2) years of leadership experience in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with the aim to further develop and inspire team members and other colleagues.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written).
- Fluency in German, Spanish, French and/or Chinese (spoken and written) is a very valuable plus.
- Computer Skills – good skills in the use of/experience with:
- Standard software packages (MS Office).
- Trademark Portfolio Database Management Platforms is very helpful.
- Contract Database Management platforms is an asset.
- Communication Skills:
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
- Commitment to FSC’s mission and values, including cultural awareness.
- Ability to represent FSC through his/her work with exemplary personal and professional authority and conduct.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Working Hours: full time - 40 hours per week
- Duration of Employment: temporary contract - 2 years (extension possible)
- Starting Date: as soon as possible
- Travel: sporadic travel is required
How to Apply
Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English.
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 25 May 2022.
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!