FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
We are looking for an engaged Regional Climate and Ecosystems Service Lead for Congo Basin, who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work in the field helping forest managers generate income from ecosystem services.
To lead the development and marketing of FSC as an attractive and high integrity nature-based solution in carbon and biodiversity markets in Congo Basin, in the context of FSC Ecosystem Services Procedure.
Based on a strong in field network and intelligence, the selected candidate will develop, nurture, support, and grow forest manager application of the FSC Ecosystem Services Procedure in the region, and facilitate matchmaking with investors and sponsors globally via the FSC network of National Partners.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
The role is responsible for driving CES project origination within the defined subregional scope, explained as follows:
Own (sub-regional) CES Project Pipeline
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen a regional pipeline of potential CES projects for Ecosystem Services Procedure, Voluntary Carbon Markets, or sustainable finance instruments.
- Deliver a pipeline that produces at least 20 projects for registration each calendar year.
- Develop and own relationships with potential project hosts and owners on FM certified land in the region, serving as their trusted advisor.
- Identify, contract, manage and oversee a network of contracted project originators to amplify the project origination work.
Build partner and developer support ecosystem
- In close coordination with local Network Partner or representatives, the incumbent shall build, operate, and oversee a regional network of licensed project developers, brokers, and where relevant CBs.
- Serve as local representative of the FSC technical and legal support center, assisting Forest Management Certificate Holders and project developers in using the FSC ES procedure, Carbon Methodologies, or sustainable finance instruments.
- Support pre-feasibility and feasibility studies by project developers for FSC Ecosystem Services projects in the FSC pipeline.
- Support project developers and forest manager in registering projects with FSC.
- Coordinate with and support work of other regional and global topic leads through knowledge sharing, internal training, and backstopping.
Support marketing and training
- Providing training and visibility for the FSC Ecosystem Services programme with subregional investors, forest managers, companies, developers, governments etc.
- Lead matchmaking between projects within the defined subregion and investors or sponsors located outside the subregion.
- Support work within Key Account Management, Marketing, Communication and Engagement Teams with regional insights, contacts, and market intelligence, both as content producer, reviewer, and occasionally as project manager.
- Additional Tasks as agreed with the Chief Officer (Climate and Ecosystem Services).
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Education and Training:
- University degree in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Economics/Finance, Environmental Science, Agriculture and Forest Science, Natural Resource Management, Engineering, Sustainability.
Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- More than 5 years of demonstrated professional experience, with at least two years in a role with relevant outreach and market development within one or more of the below:
- Forest and Forestry Sector.
- Environmental Project development.
- In field NGO or development cooperation work.
- Track record of working in a project based organisation.
- Preferably 1-2 years’ experience in providing training, teaching, communication or similar outgoing and people facing roles.
- Experience in working with international organisations and international project teams.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in English and French/local languages.
- Collaborative working style and team building skills.
- Well organised, and with a business mindset.
- Good time management skills: ability to perform well while handling simultaneously a number of functions.
- Service and solution-oriented attitude to work.
Communication Skills & Languages:
- Very good verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written).
- Fluency in French/local languages.
- Good skills in the use of standard software packages (MS Office).
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Libreville, Gabon or Nairobi, Kenya.
- Working Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week).
- Starting Date: As soon as possible.
- Duration of consultancy agreement: 2 years (extension possible, subject to satisfactory performance).
How to Apply
Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English.
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 31st August 2022 at 21.59h (CET).
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For FSC, inclusiveness and diversity are important values. As such, we welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds and are entirely committed to consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age and disability.
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!