FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
We are looking for an engaged Media Officer, who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
We are seeking a motivated and press-savvy media officer to join our growing organization. Working in the media engagement team, the new officer will maintain and grow ongoing, meaningful engagement with journalists and other influencers to tell the FSC story, as well as support the team in crisis management.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- To write and develop press releases, media kits, FAQs, spokesperson briefings, etc.
- To develop and maintain an engaging media resource page on the fsc.org website.
- To support in developing and implementing media projects such as webinars, media trips and press briefings.
- To maintain and grow FSC’s relationships with the media by responding to enquiries in a timely manner. This involves coordinating with other teams within FSC to gather information for responses.
- To support in developing media pitches by identifying stories, researching, and connecting with the right people from the FSC network for information exchange.
- To manage media projects to increase awareness of FSC’s impact among intended audiences.
- To support in crisis communications.
- Regular monitoring of media activity using online tools and identifying issues and threats when they arise.
- To liaise and maintain relationships with FSC network offices to promote exchange of stories and achievements.
- To undertake media research and establish the best way to reach audiences.
- To produce media reports for certain publications or topics using existing online tools.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Education and Training:
- University degree in in Journalism, PR, Communications or a similar field.
Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- 1-3 years of professional experience in the media or journalism space.
- Experience writing press releases, statements, blogs pieces and articles.
- Awareness of the media’s different audiences and sensitivity to how they are addressed.
- Good time management skills and ability to perform well in a dynamic work pace.
- Excellent organizational skills – proven detail orientation with project management and meeting deadlines.
- Natural and highly effective collaborator with ability to drive results through teamwork and establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
- A strong sense of diligence and accuracy.
- Deep commitment to responsible forestry and/or broad sustainability in alignment with FSC’s mission.
- Excellent English writing skills and the ability to shape messages for intended audiences.
- The ability to engage with journalists and media representatives and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
- Competence with Microsoft Office suite (advanced PowerPoint skills).
- Familiarity with social media platforms (in particular Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop or other Design Software or Platform is a plus.
- Fluency in English (excellent spoken and written).
- Proficiency in another language a plus.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Bonn, Germany.
- Working Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week).
- Starting Date: As soon as possible.
- Duration of Employment: 2 years contract (extension possible, subject to satisfactory performance).
- Sporadic travels.
What we offer
You will be working for a truly diverse organization: a melting pot of 40+ nationalities under one roof sharing in the mission of protecting the world’s forests.
In addition to social events and complementary tea/coffee you might expect some of FSC’s highlight benefits include sponsoring language classes, LinkedIn Learning access, Kindergarten support, and public transportation fees.
Based in the Rhine Valley and within an hour to Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands, there’s plenty to explore with 30 days of vacation and flexible working hours.
How to Apply
Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English.
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 6 February 2022 at 21:59h (CET).
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at email@example.com
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!