FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
FSC Africa realized a significant increase in certified forest area between 2019 and 2020 owing largely to successes in Namibia and the Republic of Congo in 2020.
FSC’s Global Strategy (2021-2026) sets a high ambition for Africa to increase the area under FM certification, especially in the tropical region and owned by smallholders. In addition, FSC seeks to better demonstrate the impact of certification to local economies including small holders in the forest sector.
We are looking for an engaged Communications Manager, Africa Region (m/f/d), who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
To translate the technical aspects of sustainable or responsible forest management and the policy matters that forest management and trade invokes, into stories that promote the responsible and sustainable management and use of forests in the African Continent.
To understand the communication needs of to the majestic Congo Basin Rainforests, the expansive industrial plantations of southern Africa, the restoration related certification programme in the woodlands of Namibia, the dry and montane woodlands and forests of Eastern and southern Africa, small holder forestry and government plantations.
To provides general support to the Regional Director and the Africa team in responding to basic inquiries, filing of documents, preparing templates to streamline proposals and reports, and any other office infrastructure related tasks are part of it.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- To Review the current FSC Africa communications strategy and ensure that it calls for a pro-active approach to communication in aid of FSC’s Programme Objectives and also reflects the cultures, values and the political spectra in each of the sub-regions of Africa; Central, East, South and West; and aligns with the FSC Global Communications Strategy.
- Linked to the preceding item, to draw up an annual communications action Plan for the Africa Region, bearing in mind, the conditions and issues that obtain in the respective sub-regions of the region, ensuring that the interests and aspirations of forest dependent communities, Indigenous Peoples and marginalized groups are promoted.
- To lead in the drafting of media stories (in both English and French) pertaining to forest management and certification in Africa and also engage with the media and FSC Stakeholders to maintain a constant stream of content for the FSC Africa web page and social media channels. This will include newsletters, brochures, media releases and editorials, website content and social media channels.
- In conjunction and coordination with the Membership Coordinator for Africa, to ensure that the issues that FSC members and certificate-holders value or seek to be highlighted on, are reflected in communication events, messages and publications under the Africa Programme.
- To provide communications support to the African and/or international marketing and communications teams, as agreed with the Africa Regional Director. Linked to this, to support and participate in the programmes and activities of the ‘Fair and Precious’ campaigns organized by ATIBT and its members, and bearing in mind, the principles governing FSC’s partnership with ATIBT.
- In conjunction with the Regional Director and respective Sub-Regional Coordinators, to contribute to the FSC’s ‘crisis communications’ efforts with a view to maintaining and/or defending FSC’s image and credibility.
- To ensure that there is a balance of coverage among the sub-regions of Africa, even if it is understood that the Congo Basin will claim the biggest share of the role of the Communications Manager.
- To support the global communications team in implementing activities related to Africa in the annual global communications plan, including – but not limited to – media trips, the FSC annual report, and story gathering.
- To liaise with the Global Communications Director on communications related matters pertinent to Africa and the Global Programme.
- To perform additional tasks as may be mutually agreed with the Director of the Africa Programme.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Education and Training:
- University degree in Communication and the Liberal Arts.
Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability in the use of social media platforms, ability to work with websites to create content.
- Demonstrated ability for story writing to promote the image and programmes of FSC.
- Ability to write project summaries, in the form of, graphics, financial reports and output and outcome oriented technical reports.
- An appreciation of environmental and natural resources management.
- Proactive, independent collaborator that can function well in a geographically dispersed team based in South, Central and East Africa. Fluent and regular collaboration with the key support.
Language and Communication Skills:
- Bi-lingual (French and English) and able to competently speak and write in both languages.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: preferably in the Congo Basin
- Working Hours: Full-time
- Starting Date: As soon as possible
- Duration of Employment: 2 years
How to Apply
Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021 at 21:59 (CET).
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at email@example.com
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!