FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
We are looking for an engaged Chief information Technology Officer (m/f/d), who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
You will be a leader in FSC’s Technology and Information team achieving significant impact for our world’s forests. FSC continuously innovates and transforms in many areas of our organization, and our technology work paves the way to future success and sustainability. We are cutting edge with cloud infrastructure, constituent engagement, Blockchain, GIS, data and analytics, as well as core platforms and Apps, and we work with prestigious IT organizations – Microsoft, Tableau Foundation, DocuSign, Esri, and many more – to ensure the highest value and most tangible benefits that Information Technology can deliver.To to oversee the streamlined operation of the IT functions at FSC and to ensure it aligns with the organization objectives. This role’s principal goals are to develop and manage the IT portfolio for the FSC Technology and Information Unit (TIU) and to attain all IT service level agreements for the organization.
The Chief Information Technology Officer will plan, coordinate, lead, and design all IT operational activities of the TIU, as well as provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance mission-critical organizational operations. The Chief Information Technology Officer will work closely with management in other units to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. The Chief Information Technology Officer reports to the Chief Information Officer and Director of IT.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- To formulate and deploy long-term strategic plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost-effective IT and communication technologies
- To manage the IT operational and strategic planning activities, including business requirements, project planning, and organizing and the allocation of resources
- To manage and adjust IT resources to ensure it aligns with business processes, tactical planning, and strategic goals
- To define and communicate project milestones, service level agreements, and resource allocation to executive team, department leads, support staff, and end users
- To develop and review budgets for IT functions and ensure they comply with organizational goals, guidelines, and objectives
- To review performance of IT systems and functions to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements
- To benchmark, analyze, report on, and make recommendations for the improvement of the IT infrastructure and IT systems
- To develop procurement requirements, in line with organizational guidelines, for IT systems, platforms, and service providers, and review proposals for compliance with stated requirements to make the appropriate choices and contract awards
- To oversee the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, and support of all hardware and software based on department needs
- To oversee provision of IT services, including help desk and technical support services
- To oversee development and implementation IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, procurement, and service provision
- To oversee negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements
- To manage IT staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions
- To establish and maintain written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent IT activities
- Responsibilities as deputy to the CIO:
- to contribute to the development and ensure implementation of strategic TIU plans
- to co-manage the resource and work planning of the unit, for example, staff planning and development, financial and work planning and management, procurement etc.
- to substitute for the director in case of absence and specific need
- to manage relations, internally and externally, and represent and communicate on behalf of the unit
- to participate in meetings and other activities of the senior management of FSC
- to collaborate with unit management on identifying and implementing improvements of organizational processes
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Education and Training:
- A university degree in Computer Science or suitable IT-related field equivalent
- 10 years’ relevant experience working in the field of IT management
Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- Extensive experience leading IT teams and working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Solid experience in IT management of business processes, budgeting, and back-office operations
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving organizational problems
- In-depth knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to IT
- Strong demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, proactively identify new projects, meet deadlines, and work under minimal supervision
- Experienced in managing effective internal information management systems
- Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and attentive to detail
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Strong and demonstrated experience in IT infrastructure strategic planning and development, project management, and policy development
- Strong understanding and technical knowledge of IT networks and operating systems, hardware, protocols, and standards
- Experience with Scrum Agile Project Management
- Solid knowledge and experience with Power BI, or other enterprise analytics tools
- Understanding of application development and software development life cycle concepts
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Strong skills in understanding and communicating/presenting detailed and advanced technology solutions
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Working Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Starting Date: As soon as possible
- Duration of Employment: 2 years contract
What we offer
You will be working for an organization with colleagues from more than 35 countries from all over the world.
You can drink as much organic fair-trade coffee or tea as you like for free. You can even choose between real milk or its plant-based counterparts. Once COVID-19 allows this again we will revive our annual summer BBQ and X-Mas party. You may also benefit from our Kindergarten support of up to 300 € and of our monthly contribution of 40 € to the job ticket.
You can work remotely at least once per week and we also provide flexible working hours, 30 days of vacation, a day off on Rose Monday, and half a day each on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
How to Apply
Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 02 November 2021.
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!