The Media Manager works as part of the communications and marketing unit (communications department) to engage with media and stakeholders to further the FSC story and manage reputational issues.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Engage the media
- Identify story angles about FSC and target these to relevant journalists; facilitate the gathering of the story.
- Respond to queries from journalists, schedule interviews, brief spokespeople.
- Plan and implement media-relevant projects including forest tours, briefings and media kits.
- Monitor global news and alert communications staff of relevant trending topics, and potential crisis topics.
- Writing and Editing
- Write media statements, social media material and supporting documents (FAQs, fact sheets, etc.).
- Talk about FSC’s on the ground impact through writing of engaging content, including stories and OpEds for various channels (owned and earned).
- Other activities
- Be an active member of the marketing and communications department, taking part in brainstorms, team discussions and workshops.
- Analyse work performed by other FSC departments for news angles and take these forwards to publication.
- Monitor and assess media activities according to pre-defined metrics.
- Additional tasks as agreed with the supervisor and project work as assigned by special organizational needs.
- Education and Training:
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. journalism, media, communications).
- Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in working with journalists, preferably on a regional or global level.
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in working in communications, preferably in an agency environment.
- Good time management skills: Ability to perform well while handling several functions simultaneously.
- Solution-oriented attitude to work.
- Service-oriented attitude to work.
- A strong sense for diligence and accuracy.
- The willingness and flexibility to work at both strategic level and operational level.
- Mother-tongue fluency in English (spoken and written).
- Computer Skills – good skills in the use of/experience with:
- Standard software packages (MS Office).
- Communication Skills:
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to shape messages for intended audiences.
- Exceptional story telling skills.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid experience in communicating with the media.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Bonn, Germany.
- Starting Date: 1st August 2020 or as soon as possible.
- Working Hours: Full-time - 40 hours per week.
- Duration of contract: The position is limited for 2 years with the possibility for extension.
- Travel: The position includes sporadic travel.
How to Apply
- Please fill in the form below and let us know what motivates you to work for FSC, in this position and why think you are suitable candidate.
- Submit your CV in English.
- Please indicate your gross salary expectation.
- Please do not send any photos of yourself, including as a picture on your CV.