The objective of FSC-STD-01-003 is to provide consistent definitions of 'small' and 'low intensity' managed forests for the purpose of implementing streamlined certification and auditing procedures.
1. Expand the scope of the standard to cover and include all uses of the SLIMF concept within the FSC system to improve consistency and transparency.
2. Introduce an improved mechanism to develop and approve nationally adapted thresholds for ‘small’ and ‘low intensity’ when a deviation from the default categories is deemed necessary.
- Junia Karst Caminha Ruggiero, Neocert, Brazil
- Christine Hall, The Nature Conservancy, USA
- Michal Brink, CMO, South Africa
The FSC Board of Directors approved the revision of the SLIMF standard and the establishment of a Technical Working Group, requiring that the Terms of Reference specify that:
- All aspects of the application of the SLIMF concept shall be reviewed; and
- The specific needs of very smallholders, with forest lands of up to 20 hectares, shall be considered.
The Policy and Standards Committee recommended to FSC Board of Directors the approval of the revision process.
Internal stakeholder review for preparation of review report and identification of alignment needs