FSC-PRO-30-006 Ecosystem Services Procedure: Impact Demonstration and Market Tools
This procedure sets out the requirements for FSC-certified forest managers to credibly demonstrate the impact of their activities on the maintenance, conservation, restoration or enhancement of ecosystem services, providing them with improved access to ecosystem services markets through the use of FSC ecosystem services claims.
The high-level objectives of this revision process are to:
- Streamline the procedure.
- Make it more comprehensive, while increasing clarity and simplicity.
- Lower the costs and make it easier to access, in particular for smallholders and communities.
- Encourage the use of the option to integrate the ES validation process in the FM evaluation process.
- Consider new technologies available such as Earth Observation and other remote audit options to make validation easier.
- Wesley Snell, ETIFOR (Economic)
- Jens Kanstrup, Forest of the World (Environmental)
- Alan Smith, Individual (Social)
- Sriskandh Subramanian, The Gold Standard Foundation (technical expert)
- Ana Sofía Vaz, NBI - Natural Business Intelligence & CIBIO - Research Center in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources of the University of Porto (technical expert)
- Rachele Perazzolo, FSC Italy (technical expert)
Board of Directors approves the establishment of a Technical Working Group formed by 3 interest balanced members and 2 to 3 technical experts at its 91st meeting
Motion 48/2021 Streamline the Ecosystem Services Procedure, incorporate more services and maximise its potential is supported by the FSC members at the FSC General Assembly
Review report recommending a revision of the procedure is consulted